Thursday, July 28, 2011

Next Item: (3613) Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds

By Michael (Mesa, AZ, United States) Jan 15, 2010

I like the style of the way this fellow writes, and he creates very interesting and engaging characters. The plot line seemed to hold a lot of potential. But, as the protagonist slips into having more and more dreams, it reminded me of Hamilton's Dreaming Void and Temporal Void novels. Feels like an easy out for the author, although I will say Reynolds' dreams at least expand the story and seem to make some sense. Both authors seemed to rely on characters having unbelievable powers to the point of being ludicrous (and another easy way out of needing more rational explanations). And, what the protagonist and almost everyone else does to the aliens in the "6th ship" behind the convoy is just downright inhuman. Of course, how those aliens ever managed to build anything given their physiology strains credulity. In the end, I felt more sympathy / empathy for the aliens and Methusala (an old fish) than I did for any of these distinctly unlikeable characters. I can't recommend this one, but I appreciated they way Reynolds and the narrator told the story, flawed though it may be. And so, I know I'll listen to another Reynolds yarn.

Approx Running Time: 23 hrs and 8 mins

MUSIC INTERLUDE #1:
Various Artists; Best Of Disco Disc 3

Le Jazz Affair Show #377 (07-08-09) hosted by Sal Calfa

The Beach Boys Pet Sounds 40th Anniv

MUSIC INTERLUDE #2:
Don McLean American Pie

Le Jazz Affair Show #378 (07-12-09) hosted by Sal Calfa

Sugarland Love on the Inside